Improvement of medical services to the Kazakhstan citizens primarily oriented to the children
Project Organizer and Organization in Charge:
Non-Commercial Organization “Saby Charitable Foundation”
To improve medical services to the population, first of all, by arranging for early disease detection, improving qualification of medical personnel, improving conditions of the staying of patients in in-patient clinics, and giving a possibility to be treated abroad.
Project Implementation Period:
The health of the population and the state of public health system – one of the key criteria for a degree of development of the country. The notion of «sustainable development» is characterized not only by the dynamics of social and economic indices, but it implies an increase in lifetime of the population.
For today, Kazakhstan has faced the necessity to enter a new level of medical service, starting with preventive treatment, diagnostics and treatment of diseases, and ending with nationwide recreational measures.
To introduce optimal organizational and methodological forms and new technologies into the practical public health service system, to raise an occupational level of personnel of medical establishments, and to arrange for medical and rehabilitation space dedicated to improve the quality of a patient’s life, are those tasks, which are determined by the Foundation in the implementation of the «Medical Project».
Project Implementation Stages:
1. First Stage. Early Disease Detection
The problem of early disease detection is currently very acute. Even in cities where, seemingly, there are all conditions to be subject to regular preventive medical examination, the number of patients applied for medical aid at the time of advanced stages of diseases has been notably increased for the last two decades. First of all, it is due to the cease of regular preventive medical examination as the same used to be taken as a basis of the health protection in the former soviet republics, which main principle was to prevent a disease but not to treat it. The reasons of the existing situation are as follows: decline of economic situation of the population, especially of the rural one, remoteness thereof from specialized and duly equipped diagnostic centers, and shortage of skilled medical personnel.
Ways of Solution:
1. To equip with mobile laboratories for early detection of the most dangerous diseases: cardiovascular and oncologic ones, and tuberculosis.
2. To organize regular visits of the said laboratories accompanied by skilled medical personnel to the remote rural and socially disadvantaged areas of the Republic to carry out diagnostic research.
2. Second Stage. Advanced Training of Medical Personnel.
By now, the reform of the Kazakhstan Public Health System has, to a large extent, enabled to improve a status of medical establishments in the country. New hospitals and clinics are built and equipped in compliance with the applicable international standards, the same provided with advanced medicaments, and bed space is extended.
However, some reasons, including social and
economic non-protection of medical personnel over many post soviet years caused the outflow of the best professionals both to the private sector of the Kazakhstan Public Health and substantially abroad. A decrease in the attractiveness of medical professions, and a decrease in professional qualification at secondary and higher education institutions entailed a decrease in qualification of young employees coming into medicine.
For this reason, positive trends in the public health have not become a guarantee of mass successful treatment since scientific achievements may be only applied with the maximum benefit in case of the competent attitude of health professionals.
Thus, an adverse situation in our country is in relation to the infant and maternal mortality. The statistical data show that the level of maternal mortality in Kazakhstan exceeds as much as 10 times the same in the developed countries of the Western Europe, USA, Canada and Japan.
According to the R.K. Ministry of Health, generally in the Republic for 2009, the infant mortality reduced to 18.38 facts of per 1,000 children quick-born (against 20.76 in 2008), and the maternal one, on the contrary, increased up to 36.9 facts (against 30.9) per 100,000 children born.
Particularly dispiriting indicators of the infant mortality remain in the southern region of the country. The reasons thereof, in more than half cases, - perinatal disturbances, mostly due to the women’s state of health during their pregnancy. The remaining factors are the result of insufficient medical service of newborn babies, first of all, owing to the acute shortage of neonatology physicians.
A sad leadership as per the number of fatal cases with birthing mothers is referred to the western region of Kazakhstan. One third of incidents occur through the fault of a weak self-ogranization of women, the lack of wish/possibility to use a free pre-delivery medical observance. On the other hand, it is a low qualification of medical personnel and midwifery aid organization.
A high index of the maternal and infant mortality is an evidence of underdevelopment of the society in general.
Ways of Solution:
1. To take measures for professional development of medical personnel specialized in obstetric aid and infancy such as: neonatology physicians, obstetrician-gynecologists as well as doctors of other specialities:
• to involve recognized experts of medical care, including those from abroad, to conduct trainings and master-classes for the Kazakhstan medical personnel on the basis of the R.K. hospitals, clinics, and research institutes;
• to organize foreign practical trainings for promising personnel so as to apply knowledge and skills gained by it at medical establishments of Kazakhstan;
• to support gifted students of medical educational institutions by giving educational grants, higher scholarships, long-term loans and so on in order to enhance their interests in occupation.
3. Third Stage. Repairs and armamentarium of regional, district and rural medical establishments.
Notwithstanding that financing has been improved in the public health system, not all medical establishments of Rok have an opportunity to update their funds. In particular, due to the economic crisis not avoided by Kazakhstan, regional polyclinics and hospitals have faced a shortage of medical equipment, implements, and expendable materials. Overhauls of buildings are deferred for later periods.
Ways of Solution:
1. To repair and to duly equip surgical, therapeutic and rehabilitation rooms at medical establishments to meet the sanitary and hygienic and esthetic requirements.
2. To donate necessary medical equipment, implements, expendable materials and specialized furniture to hospitals, clinics and research institutes.
3. To make good game rooms to make it easy for children to be at medical and prophylactic institutions during treatment and rehabilitation thereof.
4. Fourth Stage. Medical Treatment of Children Abroad.
For today, there is a number of diseases, especially child ones, which treatment in Kazakhstan is not possible and require medical aid based on high technologies, specially complex methods of detection, unique knowledge and professional qualification of health professionals, who cannot be offered by our Republic at present. One of the ways to solve this problem is assignment of quotas by the state for sick children to be treated abroad. However, to obtain a resolution on quota arrangement, parents need to collect many certificates, to visit a lot of agencies and then wait, foe a long time, their turn to send their children for treatment, assuming that circumstances of the progress of a disease are often complicated and monies are urgently required.
Ways of Solution:
1. To involve foreign highly skilled professionals to take medical and diagnostic measures based on the hospitals, clinics and research institutes of RoK;
2. In urgent cases – to give material aid to parents of those children, who need to be treated abroad by directly transferring funds to settlement accounts of clinics.
The Project shall be financed due to the voluntary contributions of benefactors to the Non- Commercial Organization “Saby Charitable Foundation”.
Improvement of medical services to the population of the country, first of all, to children, and, as a consequence, improvement of the actual indices of the status of the public health system by introducing advanced approaches to the treatment of diseases and improving qualification of doctors and sick nurses.
INTERMEDIATE RESULTS IN THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE MEDICAL CARE PROJECT AS OF JANUARY 1, 2018:
Research Institutes of Pediatrics and Pediatric Surgery
2002 – the following was donated:
• 12–channel cardiofax (Japan);
• surgeon armamentarium;
• digital camera;
• furniture, coverlets and curtains for the general and infant surgery department.
2003 - the following was donated:
• electrical scalpel- coagulator «Nikor;
• chairs, set of cushioned furniture;
• humanitarian supplies from France: beds- couveuses, medical equipment (used), medical furniture and uniform for personnel, and one-time medical implements.
2005 – equipment of the pediatric surgery department: computer and office equipment (used).
2006 - equipment of the surgery block and departments:
• 2 high-frequency electrical scalpel- coagulators (Germany);
• beds for examination of patients, beds, mattresses and refrigerator.
2009 – the following was donated: computer and printer with a copier and a scanner to arrange for on-line consultations.
Research Institutes of Oncology and Actinology
2002 – the following was donated: furniture, medical equipment, implements and medicaments.
2003 – a children’s department was overhauled;
- a refrigerator, furniture and accessories were delivered to the game room and wards;
- the following humanitarian supplies from France were delivered: specialized beds, mattresses and blanket, medical clothes, one-time medical implements.
2004 – the following was donated:
• belt ventilator
• expensive medicine for treatment of oncologic patents;
• benches with an open shed for the walking of children being treated;
• lustres for all rooms of the department.
2005 – an up-to-date computer was donated.
Research Institutes of Eye Diseases
2002 - the following was donated:
• set of specialized medical implements and implants (France);
• 5 computers (used).
2003 – a slit lamp (Germany) was donated to treat eye diseases.
Child Care Center № 3
2006 – the following was donated:
• tables and chairs, and child sofas;
• 30 new baby cots and mattresses thereto;
• colourful folders, games and toys;
• napkins (diapers) and clothes.
Orphanage № 4:
2002 – the following was donated:
• appliances (refrigerator, vacuum-cleaners, meat grinders, and kitchen unit);
• special infant food;
• napkins (diapers);
• medicinal preparations;
Orphanage № 3 (Specialized Complex “Zhanuya”)
2005 – a sick-room is equipped with a medical apparatus for physiological procedures:
• suprasonic inhaler;
• electrophoresis apparatus;
• sleep inducer;
• suprasonic electrical device;
• ultra-high-frequency therapy apparatus;
• stationary ultra-violet irradiator;
- medical furniture and medicaments were donated.
Children’s Clinical Hospital №1, City of Almaty
2005 – one of the surgery block was;
- the following was acquired and donated:
• anaesthesia-respiratory apparatus “Fabius” with two boundaries (Germany);
• mobile shadowless operating lamp;
• all-purpose operating table;
• high-frequency coagulator.
2006 – another surgery room and auxiliary rooms adjoining it were overhauled;
- the following was acquired and donated:
• plasmapheresis apparatus;
• artificial respirator “Fabius” (Germany);
• all-purpose operating table;
• high-frequency electrical scalpel- coagulator;
• stationary surgery lamp.
2007 - the following was donated:
• cabinet furniture: wall cabinets, tables, and file cabinets;
• cushioned furniture: chairs and sofas;
• TV-sets, carpets and shutters;
• table games and toys.
• permits for children of medical personnel to the holiday camps “Mountain Sun”.
Children’s Clinical Hospital № 2, City of Almaty
2007 – a plasmapheresis apparatus was donated (Germany);
- the following rooms were overhauled:
- two game rooms and one class & information room of the endocrinlogy and haematology department;
- 40 vinyl windows were assembled and shutters installed;
- cushioned and cabinet furniture, and TV sets and carpets were delivered;
- a class room was equipped with new desk and other furniture;
- various toys and table games were presented to children being treated;
- 2016 - computer complex composed of “Neuron-Spectrum-4 / P” and “Neuron-Spectrum Video” for electroencephalographic studies (EEG) was installed. In addition to medical equipment, the hospital received as a gift from “Saby” Foundation the bedding items in the amount of: 240 blankets and the same number of pillows, and 480 bedding sets.
Child Welfare Antituberculous Sanatorium “Chimbulak”
2007 – an exercise therapy room, a dental room, a physical therapy room and a treatment room were overhauled and vinyl windows installed;
- the following was donated:
- dental chair, beds, massage tables, and benches;
- electromassage device, UHF device, inhaler “Vulcan”, apparatus “Bioptron”, and apparatus “Potok” (flow);
- race track, wall mounted ladder, matd and many others;
- 2016 - new dental unit and mobile desk-dresser for the storing of medical instruments was purchased.
Cardiac Surgery Center, Town of Taraz
2007 – a multifunctional suprasonic scanner MyLab 50 (Italy) was donated.
Room for stoma Patients
2007 – it was overhauled on the basis of the Polyclinic # 3 of Almaty;
- fully equipped with cabinet and medical furniture for reception of patients;
- equipped with a computer, a notebook and office appliances;
- provided with necessary expendable materials and special literature.
Almaty City Hospital № 7
2009 – the following was donated for the neuro-insult department INСО-2:
• portable electrocardiograph;
• computer and printer with a copier and a scanner;
- 12 sick nurses were trained at computer literacy courses.
2010 – another 7 sick nurses are trained at computer literacy courses.
- acquisition of special foam material used in manufacturing of mattress for preventing pressures sores for stroke patients
- installation of the equipment and facilities on the basis of INSO-2 class where high-professional specialists will be engaged both in rehabilitation and training of stroke patients and their relatives.
Karakastek Baby House
2010 – acquisition of physiotheraupetic equipment: apparatus for electrotherapy, mobile inhaler, mercury-quartz irradiator, bulkhead bactericidal irradiators, changing tables;
2012 - 2 sets of Italian furniture for 30 people were donated;
2013 – purchase and donation of air-wind box for sterilization and disinfection of medical devices and sterilizing drums.
Mangystau regional infective hospital
2011 - donation of Hamilton С2 artificial respirating unit designed for adults, children and infants whose weight is more than 500 g.
Medical Centre of the Republic Government Establishment on the Basis of Economic Jurisdiction ‘Semey State Medical University’
2012: purchase and donation of a refrigerator set for a food unit, including delivery, assembling and commissioning;
2012 - National Scientific Cardiac Surgery Center JSC, organization and equipment of children play room for little patients.
Kyzylorda Children’s Home
2013 – device for physiotherapy of children with neuropathies and a set of manual masseurs were donated.
Almaty Regional Clinical Hospital for children
2015 – equipped two game rooms for neurology and somatic department.
Akmola Regional Hospital No. 2, Astana
2016 - stationary ultrasound diagnostic system premium DC-7 Mindray with color doppler, and the possibility of 3D / 4D, as well as two humidifiers of breathing mixtures designed for the heating and humidifying of gas supplied to the patient during the mechanical ventilation were equipped.
Children's Home, Kyzylorda
June 2017 - the physical therapy exercises cabinet is equipped.
Akmola Regional Hospital No. 2
July 2017 - hospital is equipped with a mechanical obstetric operating table and two medical aspirators;
November 2017 - purchased a neonatal heated table and Cardiocotography apparatus.
2003 - 2013 – patronage of Nikita - ICP – purchases of food products, medicines, and provision with invalid carriages.
2005 - Aliya, 8 years old – ICP, rehabilitation was organized in a specialized centre of Almaty;
2006 - Bektulsan, 3 years old - heart defect, operative therapy in Russia;
Arailym, 10 years old - renal transplantation in China;
Ilzat, 3 years old - acute lymphatic leukaemia
2009 – Alyona, 17 years old – medical examination in Israel (to establish a diagnosis);
Daniyar, 23 years old – state after the renal transplantation - medicinal treatment in Pakistan;
Meruert, 10 years old – atrophic anemia - medicinal treatment in Israel;
Sanzhar, 3 years old – ICP - medicinal treatment in Kirghizia;
2010 – Olga, 20 years old – diagnosis: generalized form of myasthenia – examination and surgery in Russia;
2011 - arrangement of the emergency transportation of two babies to the special purpose clinic in St. Petersburg for the realization of urgent neurosurgical operations.
2012 - Arianna, 10 years old, financial assistance for the treatment of encephalitis of enterovirus etiology.
2002 - 2009 – consultations were organized for children from children’s homes and child care center s by health professionals.
2002 – 2010 – holidays were arranged for with refreshments and presents for children being treated at sponsored medical care establishments.
2006 – funds were remitted to the account of the Social Fund of the town of Shymkent to help those children, who were infected with HIV infection.
Project “Trust in Professionals”
2002 – French courses were organized for promising health professionals from sponsored medical establishments for a further improvement of their skills in France.
2003 – a visit of the management of the medical faculty of the Marseille University (France) was organized for consultations and master-classes with specialists of medical establishments in Almaty.
2004 – a 4-month practical training in the clinic of the Marseille University was organized and paid for the surgeon of the Research Institute of Oncology and Actinology D.K. Savkhatov.
2005 - refresher courses were organized in the clinic of the Marseille University (France) for:
• obstetrician & gynecologist A. Medeuova (training period one year);
• oncologist D.K. Savkhatov (second practical training).
2006 – a sponsor support was given to the chief of the surgery department N.N. Akhparov to pass refresher courses abroad.
2007 – participation of 11 pediatricians from child clinics and maternity hospitals of Almaty in the seminar on the urgent problems of neonatology was organized and fully financed, which was held in Ekaterinburg (Russia).
- participation of pediatric surgeons from the research institutes of pediatry and pediatric surgery in theoretical and practical conferences was paid, which were held in the USA, Slovakia and Czechia.
2008 – master-classes were arranged for neonatology physicians and doctors of obstetric establishments of Almaty, which were conducted in several city clinics by the Russian leading professionals in that field;
Campaign “Your Day, Donor”
2008 – on the results of the campaign, over two hundred liters of blood were gathered, and the student youth was involved in the donorship.
Project has been working for 15 years, 19 medical institutions of 8 regions of the republic have been covered and 300,000 patients became beneficiaries of the project.